Re: Meal Cleaners—any good solutions for getting 'em?
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 04:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cornerstone has invented (or borrowed) a credit/debit approach to meal
participation, which can be loosely characterized as "cook once, eat four" —
meaning that each time you do some meal work, you get to sit and eat four
times.  One of our members maintains and posts the scorecard.

In this case, "cook" is defined to include (1) shopping; (2) cooking; or (3)
cleaning.  So three credits are available for each meal.  It gets a little
vague in that most cooks prefer to do their own shopping; sometimes two-person
teams split both shopping and cooking.  Cleaning is often done by people who
want to be part of the meal program, but don't picture themselves as good
cooks.  No matter who is getting the cleaning credit, there are often several
people helping out at clean-up time.  Accomplished cooks tend to clean up after
themselves as they go, and tableware varies by menu complexity, so the amount
of clean-up at the end of the meal can be quite variable.

Cost of ingredients is split equally among all the diners for a particular
meal.  In theory, cooks and shoppers are supposed to limit ingredient costs to
$4 a diner, but increasingly this feels like a number from the 1990s, and is
not workable.  More often, meal costs are $5 to $10 a diner — with the high
side prevalent for either fancy meals or large quantities.  Some cooks like to
make more than enough, to accommodate those who show up at the last minute.
Leftovers can be taken away on a first-come-first-serve basis, and some
households are pretty successful at scavenging two meals for the price of one.

Community meals tend to happen once a week, on Sundays, and are often big
production numbers.  We've recently taken some stabs at establishing a mid-week
dinner of simpler fare.  Overall, about 2/3rds of the community is seen with
some regularity for community dinners; about 1/3rd is rarely seen.

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA