Re: Meal Cleaners—any good solutions for getting 'em?
From: David L. Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:45:09 -0700 (PDT)
Sounds so complicated.
Our way simpler, yet flexible system has worked well for 19 years. To keep you
from having to look up old archive entries, here's a summary:
Everyone (exceptions allowed for periods of hardship) joins a cook team for a
quarter. Some remain stable for years. Some people like to trade partners
regularly.Teams can be from one to four people. The number of times you cook
per quarter is the number of people on the team -- again, lots of flexibility
for personal preference.The team picks any day it chooses for a meal, posting
the menu five or more days in advance. Meal days vary, and no one misses out
regularly because of a weekly conflict.
The team shops, cooks and cleans. It can divide the tasks if and as it
chooses.There's a target budget of $3 per person/meal, which is, of course,
what's charged to eaters. Some meals come in under, some a bit over. But no
need to calculate precise charges per meal -- which would be impossible anyway,
because usually at least some ingredients come out of the stocked common
pantry.Eaters are billed from signup lists, cooks credited for reported
purchases. Simple accounting; rarely does money actually have to change
hands.Leftovers are available to be taken as available, with an honor system
signup sheet, from which people are charged. This helps encourage sufficient
quantities, reduces waste and equitably allocates the costs to people who take
leftovers.David (Southside Park, Sacramento)