Fwd: Group Works Now Available
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:22:57 -0700 (PDT)
I highly recommend these cards. They have been recommended by Rains and Tree
and the description is below. I want to add my two cents as a visual artist.
The design in fabulous. Each card is color coded to fit a particular group
process step. Has a lovely photo as well as graphic symbols. Very well written
statements with no obvious ideological references. Clean writing. Clean design.
Just all around intelligent.

If you are of the persuasion or know someone who is, they would make a
wonderful daily affirmation set. Read one a day and contemplate the picture.

Also perfect fodder to design games around. VERY inexpensive for the quality of
work. They are selling them at cost — $25 for a set of 91 high quality finish
and printing. I emphasize that because this kind of project is often shoddy in
execution because no one wants to pay a copy editor, designer, or printer. Not
the case here.

> GROUP WORKS CARDS NOW AVAILABLE
>
> Why is it that some meetings and group sessions bring life to your soul,
> while others leave you wishing you'd never stepped in the room?  What happens
> at the best ones, that makes them productive, fulfilling, and sometimes even
> magic?  More than 50 facilitators and others worked collaboratively to birth
> this expression of core wisdom at the heart of successful meetings.
>
> The new deck "Group Works: A Pattern Language for Bringing Life to Meetings
> and Other Gatherings" contains 91 cards naming what skilled facilitators do
> over and over again to make things work.  The content is more specific than
> values, less specific than tips and techniques, and cuts across existing
> methodologies with a designer's eye to capture patterns that repeat.  The
> deck can be used to plan sessions, reflect on and debrief from them, provide
> guidance mid-stride, and share responsibility for making the process go well.
>  It has the potential to provide a common reference point for practitioners
> coming from wildly different approaches, and to serve as a framework and
> learning tool for those studying the field.
>
> These cards have been created by a group of volunteers (the Group Pattern
> Language Project) as a public service and are being gifted into the commons.
> The deck is yours for free download and for sale as a lovely printed package;
> a phone app is also under development.  Get your own copy, join our learning
> community, post a review, help fill out the patterns with resources and
> instructions, give us feedback, and more.   See http://www.groupworksdeck.org
> for more information.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Design is the first sign of human intention." William McDonough