Dishwashers (related to thread on common meals clean up)
From: Joani Blank (jeblankswansway.com)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:41:28 -0700 (PDT)
A couple of people have asked me about sanitation with residential dishwashers. Commercial dishwashers require the use of chemical sanitizers, because even though the water is superheated, the wash cycle is so short (2.5 to 3 minutes) that the exposure of any germs to the hot water might not be long enough to absolutely assure their being killed dead! However some people don't realize that all modern residential dishwashers preheat the water to 140 or more, and since they can take close to (or quite a bit longer) than an hour to wash and rinse the dishes, the dishes come out just as clean from them as they come from a commercial dishwasher.

Have you ever heard of someone getting sick because they ate something off a plate that just came out of a dishwasher? I'll bet it's never happened.

Joani