Re: Dishwashers (related to thread on common meals clean up)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 07:37:45 -0700 (PDT)
On 30 Jun 2012, at 1:41 PM, Joani Blank wrote:

> Commercial dishwashers require
> the use of chemical sanitizers, because even though the
> water is superheated, the wash cycle  is so short (2.5
> to 3 minutes) that the exposure of any germs to the hot
> water might not be long enough to absolutely assure
> their being killed dead!

This is probably the reason that the EPA doesn't apply as stringent
requirements on commercial dishwashers as on residential dishwashers. I don't
remember all the chemical information but it is probably chlorine — more is
allowed in commercial dishwashers.

BTW, I asked one of the commercial dishwasher supporters if the new machine was
quieter. He said, "Somewhat." it is probably quieter because it is designed
more efficiently, but the noise comes from the high pressure of the water
hitting the insides of the stainless steel box the racks are slid into. It's
just a sheet of stainless steel, above counter level so there is no sound
deadening.

It's hard to find an example of the specific model you are considering so you
can listen to it in operation. The sales people will always tell you that "that
model" is louder than the one you are considering. Sound isn't something most
kitchens seem to care about. In fact, they probably think the louder the sound,
the more efficient the machine. Macho-time.

Sharon
——
Sharon Villines, Takoma Park, Washington DC
"Where some people understand that amplified music above the level of
conversation endangers the health and hearing of those who listen to it." Which
is true of all sound waves.