Re: Dishwashers / Sanitizing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 14:13:56 -0700 (PDT)
On 2 Jul 2012, at 2:45 PM, R.N. Johnson wrote:

> Minor factual note- TB is an airborne illness, so dishwashing or the lack of
> it is not going to affect transmission rates, but it could affect
> transmission of things like shigella, Hepatitis A, or assorted strains
> causing gastroenteritis.

You're right. I had put two stories together. The person who told me about TB
had had TB and never ate anywhere where her dishes, the ones she ate from, were
not put in the dishwasher.

The person who told me about the dishwashers in the housing projects was the
wife of a doctor who served in the New York City Committee that oversaw the
design of the projects and insisted dishwashers be installed.

Interestingly, they did not install disposals but many years later went back to
put them in to combat rats.

Thank you for the correction,
Sharon
----