Re: dishwashing volunteers
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 08:57:31 -0700 (PDT)

Mariah, thanks for the detailed description of your meal cleanup process. When you say that cleanup is "on the spot volunteers" does this mean that you don't use a signup system for cleanup and that people are always available to clean?that they are not heading to meetings, classes, kids bedtimes, etc.? Does it work out equitably enough that the more frequent cleaners are not resentful? How long does cleanup take?

No sign up for cleaning. Mondays are cooked meals. The cooks (1-4, usually 2) are sign up volunteers. They have the bottom line responsibility for clean up, but there are plenty of helpers. And on Thursdays it's potluck, so there is no designated clean up responsibility --- just the volunteers. Somehow it seems to have sunk in that if many people help, it goes fast. If supper's at 6, clean up is often done by 7. Last racks may get left to air dry and get put away the next day, by whomever.

Typically, there are lots of people in the initial phase of clean up, with maybe 3 staying till it's done - dealing with trash, compost, sink strainers.
We haven't heard complaints....

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
www.rosewind.org
sunny and sixty this morning- I'm heading down to our garden to collect strawberries and rhubarb