Re: Promoting Health & Self-Care in Cohousing
From: Bob Morrison (rhmorrisonaol.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 11:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
  On 6/30 Charles Maclean wrote: One of the strongest contributors to "optimal
health" is social connectedness and support...  and that's what cohousing
offers in so many ways.
  This is an invitation to begin to noodle and dialogue on what we can do as
individuals and as supportive cohousers to promote health with our neighbors.
[end quote]
  I don't know why there haven't been any replies on this to the list. I agree
that there will never be enough doctors/dollars/diagnostics/drugs to treat the
chronic diseases triggered by our lifestyle and behavior choices. I also agree
that cohousing is a good place to address these issues, even though we are less
than 0.01% of the population.
Some answers to the questions for my community (Mosaic Commons, Berlin, MA):
1. What is your coho community doing now that promotes health, prevention [of
disease], and personal responsibility for health?  Some things: We have a
fitness center. We do our own maintenance, which means lots of exercise in some
seasons. And we try to serve healthful foods at common meals, of which we have
about 3 a week.
2. What stretch ideas do you have for taking health to the next level in
cohousing?  We don't have a lot. One of our concerns is if we pressure people
too hard to be healthy, people who aren't healthy may take it as criticism.

Bob Morrison