Re: Promoting Health & Self-Care in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 12:29:55 -0700 (PDT)
On 5 Jul 2012, at 2:40 PM, Bob Morrison wrote:

> 1. What is your coho community doing now that promotes health, prevention [of
> disease], and personal responsibility for health?

One of the problems with this is that it gets into personal space. People don't
want their neighbors in their face with advice.

When the Caring in Place idea was raised in a Board meeting,  it met with
fairly vehement objections from one of the households for which it was
intended. "If you mean us, don't put us on your list. We are doing fine
ourselves."

One thing that has worked here is for one member to be the contact for the
distressed household, formally or informally, to covey information and organize
meals, transportation, etc. Then everyone can be informed without a deluge of
questions or stopping by when it is not helpful.

Two cancer patients have done this and it was particularly helpful to all of
us. Another with an acting out teenager.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC