Re: Common spaces and decision making
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
Snip: How seriously should we take this?  Obviously feedback can be good,
but how should we address feedback from people who have self-selected
out of the community?

IMHO, you are exactly in the norm requiring a plan for such a high impact,
complex activity such as raising ducks.

I think what the family who departed is reacting to is the reality of living in
community. It requires communication, planning and often compromise. This is
not something most people are used to. I wouldn't waste much time thinking
about it. It happens. "Not a good fit" comes to mind. As much as they might
share your overall values, one value they must adopt is planning together.

Reminds me friends who didn't join a community in part because the community
wasn't willing to discuss openly the proposed plan to have a daycare center at
the community. God, if there's ever anything that would require mountains of
discussion would be a daycare center, right? They wanted to discuss it; the
community didn't. "Not a good fit" for each other.

Mariana
Berkeley Coho in Calif

PS -- I can't speak on specifics of land use in this manner because we're quite
urban. I can say that we developed an "impact scale" for events on the commons.
Large and XL events need to have a mitigation plan communicated to folks before
they can sign up.