Re: Common spaces and decision making
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:16:23 -0700 (PDT)
On 6 Jul 2012, at 2:22 PM, oz wrote:  > I'm pretty clear that our current
process discriminates against people who > are less willing/able to write out
their ideas and make requests. Its easy > to sit in judgment about these
non-proposers, saying things like "they are > just not willing to do the work."
Its much harder to help them meet their > needs if that support is needed and
welcome.

A different perspective -- In my former community, I implemented a capital
improvement project that required a lot of work making sure the project
met the needs of the community, identifying contractors and products, and
coordinating and supervising the work. There was no question that the project
would get approved -- everybody wanted it, and the money was already
allocated -- but I deeply resented that, in addition to doing weeks of
legwork on the project, I also had to jump through the proposal hoops --
paperwork, three presentations at membership meetings, etc. It seemed
(and still seems) to me that communities should have a person or team
specifically to assist with the proposal process. There were other
projects that I wanted to undertake but decided not to specifically
because I felt it was unfair that I should have to do everything all by
myself.

Katie Henry