Concessions for Affordability
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
Folks —

The City of Cambridge has something called "inclusionary zoning", which
stipulates that all "large", private residential developments must include
"affordable" dwelling units made available to the City for below-market housing
controlled by the City.  I have no problem with this; in fact, I was one of the
citizen activists promoting the idea 15 years ago.

Interestingly enough, Cornerstone Cohousing was the first private development
to be captured by inclusionary zoning, and now has 4 affordable units as a
permanent part of its 32-unit mix.  The details of how all this works are not
important here.  What we're trying to figure out is, Should assessments on the
affordable units be discounted, relative to the assessments on the market rate
units?  So my questions are ...

Do you have a comparable program of subsidized units in your coho community?
And, if so ...
What consideration in assessments, or other requirements, do you extend to
"affordable" units, such that they remain "affordable", and that your community
thus supports economic diversity?

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5