Re: a question about hiring landscapers
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
On 18 Jul 2012, at 9:01 PM, S. Kashdan wrote:

> The Jackson Place Cohousing community in Seattle, Washington has a question
> about whether your cohousing community considers it necessary or
> important to hire licensed, bonded and insured landscape
> contractors/professional gardeners for the work that community members can't
> or won't do.

We don't hire anyone who isn't insured. Period. Full stop. End of story.

Bonding as we understand it is for large construction jobs, not the kind of
thing we usually hire people for. Licensing, I think is required for insurance,
but we don't ask for that information.

It's the insurance that is important in case they are hurt on the job or cause
a lot of damage.Their insurance certificate is sent directly from their
insurance company to our management company. That is important so it can't be
forged.

We may pay more but also are assured that the people are professionals and in
the business full-time, which means less hassle for us.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC