Re: Inclusionary Zoning and Assessments
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:51:42 -0700 (PDT)
On 18 Jul 2012, at 12:43 PM, Elizabeth Magill wrote:

> So starting with the salary, the common mortgage rates in the area and other
> details, we worked backward to set the home price. Condo fee was included in
> that calculation, we had to make it so a person at 80% AMI wiht a good credit
> rating could be approved for the mortgage.

Is this formula available? I know the formula for figuring out what is
"affordable" varies from place to place but a common  misperception is that
"affordable" means "low income". It only means 80% of average income in most
places while low income is in people's perceptions much lower than that.

If the average home price in an area is $400,000 and a person with an average
income for the area would be able to buy that house, someone making 80% of that
would be able to buy a house costing 80% of $400,000 or $320,000. Still a chunk
of change that many could not afford.

It helps to see the actual numbers.

Sharon
----