Re: Inclusionary Zoning and Assessments
From: Pastor Liz (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:43:38 -0700 (PDT)
I have the spreadsheet, is there a way to make that available to
people on the list?

Yes, when a home is "affordable" meanign 80% of median income, that is
not reaching exactly who we wthink it is. We have interesting
perceptions of money!

But using your example, i'll note that that is an interesting perception too.

My house was around $400K, and I put 20% down, so I needed a family
income of around 107K to be approved for that mortgage.
While I don't feel "wealthy" $107K is no where near the median income
of this area. (While our community is 50 minutes from boston we count
as part of Worcester, but still the median income of boston is not
$107K either!)

The same home as mine is also available as an affordable home to
people who make less than 80% of median income: that is, they make
less than about $56,000. (the actuall requirement is at
www.sawyerhill.org/40B )
The house is $173,000 for the "affordable" version.

The median income in the whole US is around $50,000 right now, so my
household (when we bought hte house) made TWICE that. Of course it
varies widely by geography, and is further complicated that actual
stats define household size (that is that median is $X for a family of
4 typically.)

-Liz
at Mosaic Commons, where we have affordable homes (80% of AMI) available now!!!
1, 2, and 3 BR homes at www.sawyerhil.org/40B
Join us in Berlin, MA.