Re: Different world-views in CoHo (was Re: Elevator Buildings)
From: oz (ozozragland.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
Greg, these are interesting ideas. So much so that they lured me away
from the work I'm "supposed" to be doing...

I believe that while the industrial revolution is indeed dying in the
United States, that its booming in many countries - fueled in part by
globalization as capital flees from our "high" cost labor. I suspect
that we'll continue to have larger disparities in income, i.e. the
poor get poorer and the rich get richer.

I doubt if the (somewhat rarefied) population of people who choose
cohousing will be unable to run their elevators. For most cohousing
developments, the founders somehow managed to frame the ideas, gather
the resources, and pull together the people power required to
successfully develop multi-million dollar housing projects. These
folks can surely pull together to keep their elevators running.

Many communities already use photo-voltaic solar to generate
electricity and I understand that some produce more than they
consume...

I've heard that the per-person carbon footprint for people living in
homes within large buildings is lower than single-family houses or
duplexes or small rows of houses of comparable size and "green-ness."

So, Coho-L, what do "you" think?

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Greg Nelson <ghn [at] mercury.pgt.com> wrote:

-- clipped --

> I honestly believe that the industrial revolution is
> about to be "over"... so given the choice between small homes that
> require little energy to heat, and buildings so tall that they require
> an elevator, the decision is obvious for me.  But that's just my
> world-view.

-- clipped --