Re: Americans with Disabilities Act - Title III
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 04:28:28 -0700 (PDT)
Not convinced that being a "private organization" gets you off the ADA hook.  A
car dealership is also a "private organization", but is nonetheless expected to
provide bathrooms that work for mobility-impaired people — even the ones who
can't drive.  If you host a block party or a wedding, will you warn the
mobility-impaired* that your accommodations for them are poor?

Many states, in fact, have rules for multi-family developments that require a
small percentage of units to be designed for wheelchair accessibility.  If your
community sells such a unit to a mobility-impaired person, and that person
starts to wonder why s/he has no access to the community swimming pool s/he
helped pay for, then you may be open to litigation.  Or at least bargaining.

So keep checking this out.  In your jurisdiction, there may be special
exemptions for residential pools that are entirely divorced from the "private
organization" thing.  Apart from that, is your coho really satisfied that some
of its amenities are not available to disabled members?  Or unsuited for
occupancy by the disabled (which will probably include some of you, when you
get old).

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing, Cambridge ... which was indeed designed for
accessibility.  (But sorry, no pool.)

 * PS: When we think of ADA and "handicaps", a picture of a wheelchair leaps
front and center into our minds.  However, deafness and blindness are also
serious disabilities, and also covered by ADA.  Keep in mind that accessibility
is not systematically inspected or enforced by many localities — in which case,
enforcement occurs in response to complaint.