Re: Americans with Disabilities Act - Title III
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:41:04 -0700 (PDT)
Rules do vary from one jurisdiction to the next, but I will stick with what I
said:

In Massachusetts, State law requires that multi-family housing developments of
any size provide a small percentage of units which are accessible to
wheelchairs.  If one of those units is in fact sold to a mobility-impaired
person, and that person discovers that some of the key condo or HOA amenities
are not available to him/her even though s/he paid "market rate" ... what
happens next?  Not being an attorney, I do not know.  Being an architect, I do
know that the best policy is to make everything as accessible as reasonably
possible.  Some pools are designed with ramps such that people can actually
ride rolling chairs, or ambulate with walkers, into the pool.

The key phrase in all of ADA is "place of public accommodation".  Trying to
establish what *that* means has long been a bone of contention in ADA
interpretation, but in general, over time, the phrase has grown more and more
inclusive.

RPD