Re: Americans with Disabilities Act - Title III
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
I agree:  Meeting the accessibility codes adds significant square footage to a
project — maybe in 5% range, depending.  But then so does meeting the life
safety code, like, for instance, providing two means of egress off each floor.
Time marches on, and our standards of minimal sufficiency advance.  Forty years
ago, few cars had air conditioning, and none had air bags.  But today ... well,
you get the picture.  I predict than in another 20 years or so, pissing and
moaning about accessibility codes and universal design will be a thing of the
past.

I also agree that good design requires balancing out a great many needs and
priorities, and — contrary to what you see in the magazine pictures — does not
involve celebrating one or two aspects of the building at the expense of all
others.  When you're short on money, short on time, short on land, and long on
diverse opinions, now that's when design gets interesting.

RPD AIA