Re: Americans with Disabilities Act - Title III
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
On 25 Jul 2012, at 12:37 PM, Elizabeth Magill wrote:

> Just a request to try to put the people before the descriptor in language:
>
> People who use wheel chairs

Thank you for the reminder. I usually say those who "use wheels," which
includes strollers, walkers, shopping carts, etc. And people with disabilities
includes those with temporary disabilities.

When we put in our electric door opener, the two who use wheelchairs loved it
but many others did as well — those carrying babies and groceries, those using
crutches with a sprained ankle, those pushing heavy carts of groceries and
other purchases, etc. It was much more popular with many more people than we
expected and most of us use it and are thankful for it.

One accessible feature we have which has mixed benefits is a cork walkway in
the otherwise wood floor that goes from the front door around the dining area
to the mailboxes. it makes it easy to remind people to "keep the cork clear"
for wheeled vehicles, which includes UPS delivery trucks.

The downside is that it makes a long open straight shot for kids to run in.
When they are 1-2 years old it is charming because they are so proud of
themselves. When they reach 3-7, the noise is deafening and a major cause of
noise at meals.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines