Re: Help with meals problem
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
Laurie

I hear your issue with people cooking and it prompts me to want to look deeper
(or outside the box), before working the structural elements, at what might
have changed over time, e.g.,
1.  are households or existing cook teams still finding their participation in
the Meal activity to be positively contributing to the strengthening of the
social bonds in the community and what could be done about that; or
2.  have the mix of people or their lives have changed such that their
availability to cook or attend is not the same?

Also look at other processes that could re-instill the excitement (fun,
adventure, ?) in participation such as
1.  a survey to discover the menu items that are attractive, to guide the
cooks.  For example what are the entrees that when served tend to create the
space for people to stay and engage with each other rather than eat and run;
2.  Create a community cookbook focusing on these menu items and suggest the
cooks use them (easier to follow then trying to make a menu up each time);
3.  Reducing the frequency in the schedule to provide for a variety in peoples
lives, e.g., moving to 3 times per week, perhaps one being a brunch on
Saturday; or
4.  Invite a chef to create a theme menu, e.g. using wild items found in the
neighborhood (thoughts of sustainability).

Don Benson
503.296.7249