Re: Energy and Idealism
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 10:18:48 -0700 (PDT)
On 31 Jul 2012, at 3:23 PM, oz wrote:

> Here at Songaia, its often said that part of the glue which helps hold us
> together is our active food program

But wasn't Songaia formed around a community that was already eating meals
together and purchasing food together for private use as well?

I think this makes a difference. People who are coming to cohousing now may
include a wider population that is not so interested in meal sharing.

I would also  like to hear some generational and household types identified
posts. I know the people here who are most interested in the meal program have
children or are from households that cook. Having CH meals is a relief for
them, not just a social pleasure.

As a single person household I don't have demands to serve meals to other
people and frankly, love it. I don't want to be on a rotation of having to cook
for others at this point. Maybe someday, but I doubt it. I have also become
addicted to quiet, calm meals. If I eat with others, I prefer to go out and be
served and leave the dishes on the table for someone else to do.

I would much prefer some games of Trivial Pursuit by the fireplace.

Is it helpful to new communities to hear this stuff or would you rather we just
keep sending out the standard descriptions of cohousing?

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC