Re: Help with meals problem
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:40:08 -0700 (PDT)

There was a survey a few years back about meals, and indeed, communities with
required meal participation  had better participation and higher satisfaction
with the meals program.  This is not to say that communities that did not
require meals were necessarily unsatisfied with their meals programs or unable
to keep things going, but that on average, communities with a required meals
component were more successful in maintaining the program and happier with the
results. I don't remember who did the survey, but I'm sure someone out there
with a better memory can track it down.
I am curious as to what your meal sign up system is, and what happens if you
don't sign up.  Having someone whose job it is to follow up on those who forget
to sign up is very helpful for those of us who are too busy/ forgetful/
distracted to remember to get ourselves on the calendar.  At New Brighton
cohousing, , the meals coordinator posts the calendar  at least a month ahead.
If you don't remember to sign yourself up, the meals czar signs you up for a
slot and sends you an email.  If it wasn't for the fallback of having the
coordinator sign you up, probably a quarter of the community would regularly
forget to sign up.  I have also heard of communities where people are signed up
for the same slot every month- ie first Monday, second Thursday etc...

Randa Johnson