Troublesome Community Members: What's a Board to do?
From: Holly McNutt (holly.mcnuttgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 22:02:10 -0700 (PDT)
Hello coho communities everywhere!

The board here at Nyland cohousing (Lafayette, CO) has a question for those
communities out there with an active board of directors. (Not all coho
communities use that structure.)

What, if anything, can a board do to reign in, or at least contain the damage
caused by, a particularly Troublesome Community Member? (TCM)

We're not talking about your garden-variety TCM.  We've all got those, don't
we?  Rather, we're talking about those extra-special people who only come along
once in a while and can really poison the well. The kind who threaten to sue or
press charges about things that no one else thinks are big deals.  At worst,
possible litigation becomes a financial risk to the community, which is in part
why the board is concerned.

We realize that the Board's (and the full community's) power is pretty limited
here. We can't make someone move, and we can't prevent them from ranting,
suing, or calling the police. But are there measures, either formal or
informal, that others have taken in similar circumstances that have helped?
Mediation isn't much of an option here; what's coming from TCM seems much more
impulsive than that.

Fishing for ideas... Anyone got some to offer?

- The Nyland BOD