Re: Troublesome Community Members: What's a Board to do?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 05:49:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 8, 2012, at 1:02 AM, Holly McNutt <holly.mcnutt [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> What, if anything, can a board do to reign in, or at least contain the damage
> caused by, a particularly Troublesome Community Member? (TCM)

Firstly, I wouldn't consider this to be "just" a board responsibility, though
the board could take leadership. If the board considers it "their" problem,
then other community members can sit back and watch.

From both sides — seeing a community member in conflict and being in conflict
with the community (to the extent that there is a "community") I would suggest:

1. Don't panic. This has happened a million times and everyone survived.

2. If the person is calling in the legal process, or threatening to, consult
experts on whatever legal process it is so you are clear on what your options
are. You don't have to be combative about it. Just do it the same way you
figure out what toothpaste is or what magazines are available at the library.
Cohousing too often has its head in the sand about legal issues. Most laws are
actually very sensible and were designed to address exactly this kind of
problem. Read the law yourself - you don't have to spend a fortune in legal
fees. Consul the local chapter of the Communities Association Institute (CAI).

3. Find someone who can talk to this person and whom they will talk to so you
can clarify issues and keep communications open. Miscommunications are so easy
and isolation not helpful. This communications person may have to change from
time to time because they will get tired of the role, but we all have people we
can talk to and people we can't. If the person has a lawyer, talk to the
lawyer. (If the lawyer will only talk to a lawyer, do not feel obliged to
comply.)

4. Do nice things for this person — they feel conflict as much as you do. Treat
them like any other member of the community who is having a rough time. Take
them a pie, or leave it outside their door if you don't want to talk them. This
will make you feel much better. Do unto others ….

5. Remember what Rob Sandelin said many years ago — some people leave cohousing
like they leave anything else in life, they just go. Others go out in a hail of
bullets and thunder and lightning. They have to leave the place in rubble in
order to get themselves out believing that they are right to go. Let this
person be right. Admit that you can't do what they want you to do or be what
they want you to be. Maybe they will leave.

6. This is the reason you have a majority vote back up. Not everyone is sane or
wants to be. You can only reach consensus with people who are willing and able
to discuss issues sensibly and participate in a process of resolving
objections, which requires exploring ideas, testing possible solutions, and
measuring results.

7. Being nice doesn't mean being wishy-washing and not making decisions. Be
firm. Draw the line in the sand, and remember it's only sand. You can change
the line if it seems appropriate.

8. Remember what Laird Schaub says — paraphrasing because I can't remember
exactly — You will eventually have to pay for not making decisions, and the
interest is high.

Please keep the list informed. All communities confront this at one point or
another. We get these questions but often don't hear about what was tried, what
worked, and what the outcomes were.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
Save Our Planet. It's the only one with chocolate.