Re: Troublesome Community Members: What's a Board to do? - re work requirement
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 08:29:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 8, 2012, at 11:36 AM, regine <chknsoup1 [at] aol.com> wrote:

>  When we tried to keep track people who didn't want to be monitored just
> wouldn't fill in the work sheets so there was no way of knowing anything.?
> Any thoughts on that?

We did the same thing and it is a pain to fill in sheets. One option that we
haven't implemented is to eliminate the need to report by:

1. Assign hours to some jobs. When people assume ongoing responsibility for
those jobs, they don't have to report. Just do them. A team leader would know
if the job is being done or not, and check if they don't know. (Hard to know if
that sump pump inspection is being done.)

2. Put as much work on workdays as possible then people can do the number of
required workdays a year without having to do anymore than sign in for jobs.
Workdays have been fabulous for us, though not perfect.

It's very hard in cohousing to walk up to people and say what have you done for
me lately, but not Doing it also causes tons of friction and bad feelings.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC