Re: Land Use on Coho Acreage (Nessa Dertnig)
From: oz (ozozragland.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
Cobb Hill is one of my favorite communities - and I strongly recommend that
people more learn about this unique and very interesting community... they
have a bunch of endeavors which can be seen here:

http://www.cobbhill.org/main/enterprises
(their cheese is to die for)

Songaia also hosts many "private projects" which use common resources -
like Cobb Hill, this started well before our cohousing build-out. Unlike
Cobb Hill, none of ours are very large in scope.

Off the top of my head, some are:
- Honey Bees (and their hives:)
- Goats - which eat blackberry brambles
- Chickens
- Pottery studio
- Space/Electricity for a private freezer
- One-off storage, e.g., a piano, with specified time limits.
- Extension to an outbuilding - the new room provided secure, weather-proof
document storage
- Private Garden plots - 3/4 of our organic garden is shared, with 1/4 used
by private individuals

Officially, any private use requires approval by the community.
Unofficially, some have just started small, then grew without formal
consensus - unless somebody complained about the (lack of) process.

We also maintain a fairly large "abundance fund" which some members
contribute to anonymously. When approved by the community (the contributors
have no special powers), this fund can be drawn upon during a private use
proposal phase. Usually, the fund is used for partial funding,

In enterprising community,
Oz
OzRagland.com