Re: Land Use on Coho Acreage (Nessa Dertnig)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 04:56:36 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 13, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Judith Bush <jbush [at] together.net> wrote:

> Related to what Sharon V wrote today on the temporariness or permanence of
> granting use of land, our experience at Cobb HIll is that people investing
> themselves in the work of growing food or raising animals, want "tenure" for
> their projects.  Maybe some things can be short-term experiments, but many
> cannot.  There are big implications for members who aren't present when these
> early projects are launched.

Good correction. Growing crops requires long preparation of the land. You don't
just go out and grow a garden, or abandon it.

When I visited the land where Legacy Farm is planning to build in Rosendale,
NY, it seemed as if a certain cleared space would be perfect for building but
they were choosing instead to build on a wooded plot. When I mentioned this,
they explained that the cleared land was farm land and had been farmed for many
years previously. It was more valuable to them than the wooded plot.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Logic will get you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." Albert
Einstein