Re: Land Use on Coho Acreage
From: Nessa Dertnig (nessamainecohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 03:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you to everyone who has commented so far on the land use question, both
on this list and privately.  It really helps to get a sense of what other
communities are doing. I have been really busy this past week, but I will
happily take people up on their offers for further details and be in touch soon!

One more question that has come up in the meantime:

Is there any cohousing community out there that functions with the assumption
that there is (or will be) a coordinated food-growing effort among all members,
to be as self-sufficient as possible on a community-wide scale?  Or where
you've made the distinction of wanting to retain certain amounts of land for
annual crops vs perennial crops?  Would such a community then truly fall under
the definition of "cohousing", and/or would it be desirable or even possible to
do this?  (In our case, we're talking 36 households when fully sold)

(We have not agreed to this, by the way, but it has come up in discussions and
disagreements among some members).

Thanks again!
Nessa

Message: 1