Re: Home Purchasing Credits
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:16:14 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

Let me just intervene here in re: the affordability program under which Takoma
Village Cohousing in Washington, DC was built.

The take out mortgages for those who qualified under the affordability
guidelines were of two types:

A below market interest rate of 6.4%

OR

A higher rate of 7.2 or 7.4 (can't quite remember) AND up to $6,000 towards
your downpayment.  (I took this option because I didn't want to commit all my
cash.)

As far as I know ... everyone made a downpayment on their homes here at TVC.
ALL TVC members committed non-fundable money during the development phases that
was applied to their downpayment.   That may have been only part of the total
downpayment but people did commit money for use at closing.

Part of the sentiment that perhaps I'm hearing here is that 100% loans (no
downpayment) coupled with buying too much house is what got us into this
housing foreclosure debacle. A 100% loan means you have no equity in your house
therefore no wiggle room for resales when sales are depressed.  We look back
now and think "how irresponsible!"  Let's not do this again!

At the same time we now face the challenge of having to put 20% down which is a
very high hurdle.  On a $200K home which is nothing here in DC, that's $20K in
cash that the prospective homeowner has to pony up.

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC