Re: Home Purchasing Credits
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:01:32 -0700 (PDT)
On the first home I bought (in Maryland) I borrowed $1000 downpayment from my
parents and went from paying $950 per month in rent to paying $850 for the
mortgage. That was BEFORE including the rebate I got on my taxes from the
mortgage interest deduction.

On the second home I bought (in cohousing yippee!!) I put down $80,000 and the
home is now worth less than my 80% mortgage. (Yes, I timed it perfectly with
the latest mortgage crisis). I went from paying $1000 per month in rent to
$2500 per month.

I'm not a fan of deciding on whether other folks decision are "responsible" but
surely the no downpayment one was not the greater irresponsibility!!!

And I don't regret my decision, cohousing is more than worth the cost.

-Liz
Elizabeth Magill
www.mosaic-commons.org
Just five homes remaining in Berlin, MA!!!
(You must be able to put 3% down of your own money to qualify:
www.sawyerhill.org/40B )