Re: Mortgage lenders and cohousing
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 07:04:21 -0700 (PDT)
Several years ago Wells Fargo, in representing the FHA said that the existence
of a Right of First Refusal clause would prohibit a loan being offered for any
unit our development.  Their story was that it could be used to illegally
discriminate.  We changed our legal documents, obtained FHA certification our
development, and we have not had any problem with that element since.  The next
challenge is that our "certification" runs out this fall and we do not know how
to implement the process for re-certfication.

We do not have a Transfer Fee but do have guest rooms in our common house.  It
is a challenge for inexperienced owners and buyers and particularly when they
put their trust in realtors who are often not experienced with cohousing and
these issues with lenders either.

Don Benson
503.296.7249