Re: Mortgage lenders and cohousing
From: Doug Huston (hustonashlandcoho.com)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:59:09 -0700 (PDT)
Sure. I appreciate the sentiment and it seems congruent with many values cohousing folks are likely to have (local, anti-corporate....) and your credit union may actually be a cooperative like our local one. But will a whole community decide to stake their values to a narrower lender base, perhaps at the at the cost of increased rates. I'm not positive that the consequences would be as above, but it seems plausible. And that would be the fear. I think I would be willing to thumb my nose at the powers that be by keeping my right-of-first refusal clause and narrowing options, and consider that educating them may result in changes - but am admittedly an idealist who tells himself he isn't moving anytime soon either. At the national cohousing conference in June there was a presentation by Lee Bartholomew about some of these issues. If my memory serves me well, he is an appraiser and cohousing resident around Davis/ Sacramento and is working at educating folks in the real estate world to prevent some of the snags cohousers are experiencing. He is keen on obtaining data from our communities to provide research to reinforcement his message. We're lucky to have his energy and willingness. Hopefully someone will provide his info on the list serve so that cohousers having these issues can relay the info to him. I recall that he is generally trying to collect data from both good times and hard times about cohousing resales.
- Doug Huston