Re: Mortgage lenders and cohousing
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
Liz Walker <liz [at] ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us>
after deleting quoted digest.

Very interesting. We had two banks (both of which had worked with us
in the past) turn down our third cohousing neighborhood, TREE, for a
construction loan. We've had excellent luck with one of our local
credit unions, CFCU, which was very happy to loan us $3M for
construction, and will probably carry all the mortgages as well.
We've never had any defaults in our history of 16 years of mortgage
lending, with two neighborhoods and a total of 60 homes. So it seemed
very strange to me that with a proven track record, and homes that
just keep increasing in value, that the other banks were not
interested. This thread helps to explain that.

Liz Walker, EcoVillage at Ithaca