Re: Reintegrating non-participating households
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 31, 2012, at 2:29 PM, "R.N. Johnson" <cohoranda [at] yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any useful things to try to help move a
> non-partipating household back toward participation?

If they have once been active, I think the chances are greater of reactivating
them. We usually try to figure out who would be a good person to talk to
them--someone who has a good relationship with them. Someone who understands
them, speaks the same language.

Then request help with a specific time-limited project or task. Time-limited
allows them to try it and see if it works. They don't have to commit to join a
team or anything -- just put their toe in.

We have one member who was very active in the first few years but then got
married and disappeared. It wasn't a major disagreement but he found that once
we matured as a community, he didn't have the autonomy he had in the early
years and had difficulty, in my opinion, handling the barrage of information
from all sides that you get when several teams are asking for decisions.

But he answers questions in his area of expertise and will take on time-limited
specifically defined tasks. Usually we have to ask but sometimes he hears a
discussion and offers.

The greater difficulty is people who fade off and don't have expertise that we
can call on or when we ask for help they take so much time to supervise, we
wish we hadn't.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines