Re: Project Approval by FHA or FNMA
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 05:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
I continue to be baffled by this thread.

Formally, officially and legally, cohousing does not exist.  Fogeddabowdid.  We
are all organized and occupied under State enabling legislation for
condominiums and/or HOAs.  Maybe we have an semi-unusual mix of common spaces,
but communally owned space is recognized by condo and HOA law.  Maybe our
bylaws look a little funny, emphasizing "consensus" as our decision mode — but
never mind that, all our major decisions about assessments, expenditures,
acquisitions and sales must ALSO comply with State rules for condos and HOAs.

Seems to me that the point to emphasize to regulators and lenders is that our
communities are intended to be, and must necessarily be, fully compliant with
all State and federal law.  If we want to have sing-alongs every other night,
that's OK too, but this has nothing to do with the legality or formal
operations of our associations.  We are dead legal, always and forever.  And,
as an extra-special bonus, our turnover rates and defaults are LESS than for
ordinary condos and HOAs.  So give us the money.

Geez Louise.

RPD