Re: consequences (WAS resources on individualistic people...)
From: Don Benson (benson6451aol.com)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
There are two dominate tracks I consider

1.  engage in tough love - We are attempting in community to create and live by
social contracts, the core of which is that we do not take significant
individual initiative with each other or our commons without bringing the
concern and options to the community first.

2.  engage in soft love - We are all here, aspiring to live in community,
caring for each other as individuals and the commons.  We will all stumble on
this path, and it is the path we committed to so we understand and hope that we
will do better in the future.

The operative word is to engage, which is not common in our larger culture.  To
the contrary I see diminishing constructive engagement (conflict avoidance) or
violent engagement (also not constructive), and the transfer of engagement to
lawyers with more per capita in the US than any other country in the world, and
an increasing level of stress related health problems as we individually
attempt to cope with failed social contracts (divorce, etc.).

Building the skill of working with an individual regarding behavior that is not
consistent with our social agreements is a dimension on the the path to
individual and community maturity.  Conversation about the incident can bring
community values back to our awareness, provide an example of how these social
contracts can translate to behavior.

Don Benson
Trillium Hollow, Portland OR
503.296.7249