Culture Against Society Re: Wool rug and animal rights
From: Wayne Tyson (landrestcox.net)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:15:40 -0700 (PDT)
Coho:

The only thing that separates humans from the other animals is their abandonment of their birthright (social interaction) for the mess of pottage called "culture." Thus we set ourselves apart (about ten or fifteen thousand years ago) when we started enslaving ("domesticating") other organisms--plants and animals--and have been compounding the error ever since.

When we hunted and gathered, we took only what we needed, and when we took, say, an animal's life, we thanked our animal brother for providing us sustenance. We took only one leaf from the wild onion to flavor our stew and provide us with Vitamin C, and in other gathering followed the rule of leaving the first plant found, taking the second, passing up the third, and so on. These were not rules or laws, they were social (cooperative) mores that made the difference between exhausting our support system of life and ensuring poverty later and taking only what we need and ensuring the continuance of our brother and sister creatures with whom we are interdependent.

Now we are in a feeding frenzy of insane consumerism. Like the sorcerer's apprentice, we cannot stop--we have forgotten the magic word and we waste rather than conserve. We think we have only two choices--wealth or poverty--forgetting that frugality means abandonment of our habits of waste.

The thing that attracts me to cohousing is its struggle toward cooperating community, and to some extent, frugality. We cannot expect, however, to cure the accumulated ills and errors of ten or fifteen thousand years--the compounding effects of culture overnight--it has us by the throat, as it were.

But we can retrieve our birthright bit by bit, and one day perhaps come to a new understanding of the behaviors that made us a successful species In the Beginning, before we decided that we could profit by abandoning Eden.

WT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Villines" <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com>