Re: requirements about maintaining private property
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 05:26:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Sep 27, 2012, at 4:01 PM, Muriel Kranowski <murielk [at] vt.edu> wrote:

> What would we do if the owner refused to pay? I think it would be very hard
> to get consensus on suing a member over this kind of problem.

You pay to have the yard done and put a lien on the property and do it until
the person sells or begins tending the yard. We have a significant decision
process in which we can post a proposed decision by email to our members only
list. If there are no unresolvable objections, it is passed without discussion.
Taking this kind of action may get teh attention of the  homeowner or take care
of the problem.

You can do the lien for a year at a time so the legal expenses aren't huge and
include those in the charge as well.

Doesn't the city have a code for lawn care? They would enforce it the same way.

Another option if you have a resident who likes to garden is to allow them to
make a deal so they can garden the other person's yard.

We also have a person who refuses to tend her yard but it is a back yard so it
isn't so obvious, but it was a problem for pest control. I think it was finally
mulched over. It's small and mostly covered by a deck.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca