Re: Unprogrammed suites
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:15:22 -0700 (PDT)
Should I understand that the "basement suite" will be a small and legal
separate dwelling unit?  Maybe a "mother-in-law" apartment, or an au pair
apartment, or just a plain old rental apartment?  Based on this understanding,
I would comment ...

Your condominium or HOA Bylaws should have something to say about additions,
renovations, subdivisions and other modifications of each dwelling unit —
something like Yes, No, or Maybe If, depending on the scope and nature of the
modification.  Do your Bylaws allow for running a for-profit enterprise out of
one's basement?  Rental real estate OK?  What about a psychoanalyst's office?
Your local zoning, and/or the special permit you may have received, could also
govern what happens in this basement.
Size matters.  33 is a good number of units for coho.  Much smaller, and the
community dynamic may lack social ballast; much larger, and it gets hard for
everyone to know everyone.  But if everyone went ahead and made a basement
suite, then you'd have 66 units, which might be judged too large.
Diversity matters.  It seems as though many cohos are opposed to rentals, and
operate on some fuzzy belief that property owners make good and responsible
neighbors, while tenants ... oh Gosh, who knows what a tenant might do?  While
I agree that a coho community is stabilized by a majority of equity owners, I
do not share the fuzzy belief (or any real life experience) that property
owners make better friends, neighbors or members than tenants.  A certain
number of rental units will help support any diversity goals you have.  I live
in a hyper-expensive housing market — Cambridge, MA — and it tends to be true
that the people best positioned to buy into Cornerstone are old(er) people.  If
you think your community benefits from a mix — like young(er) singles who may
room up together, or young families interested in trying before they buy — then
rental units could have a role to play.

Good luck.  And check your Bylaws.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140
617.354.6094

PS: Cornerstone has a bunch of Bylaws rules regarding community oversight of
owned units being rented out to tenants. But these rules are never enforced,
because nobody at Cornerstone seems to have the time or gumption to intervene.
Currently, two of our 32 units are unsupervised rentals owned by absentees, and
several other owner-occupied units have taken in tenants to help meet expenses.
 We don't have a communal system for vetting our tenants, but then again ... we
also don't have a communal system for vetting any new owners, either.