Frankenstorm and the making of community
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 07:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all --

For those of us on the East coast caught up in The Frankenstorm ... ain't it
grand we live in community?  While I would never wish hardship on anyone ...
when times like this occur the value of community is in stark and happy relief
to the prognostications of doom and gloom of flooding, no electricity, downed
trees, sturm and drang etc etc etc.

Here at Takoma Village we spent two days battening down the hatches.  We worked
together as a community to secure the bricks n' mortar and beyond that ... to
make sure our neighbors with extra needs have support throughout Sandy's stay
in our area (which now looks as if Baltimore-Washington will be The Center for
24-36 hours of pounding rain and wind.)

This is a very nice segue into my next point.  At the national conference last
June I attended a remarkable presentation on emergency preparedness.  It was
REALLY well done.  Out West of course, communities esp. condos are required to
have emergency plans in place in the event of the not so infrequent earthquake.

My question is ... does your community -- no matter where you are -- have a
written, agreed upon emergency preparedness plan?  Large or small.  Do you do
any basic emergency practice such as fire drills?  Is anyone in your community
a certified First Responder?  Trained in Hemlich or resuscitation?  Do you know
who in your community is trained in these skills?

I'm thinking that agreed upon emergency planning is another great way to build
community.  Have you had any experiences of this to share with us?

Loved to hear what communities have done or are doing about emergency
preparedness and its effect on community social capital.

Meanwhile ... stay dry, well and safe!

Is that rain I hear ...?  :-)

Best --

Ann Zabaldo