Getting The Work Done
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:00:00 -0800 (PST)
SHARON WROTE:

This sounds good to me. Where are we on this? Not how do we get "those people"
to do something but "What is happening here?" What is it we want and want to do?

I forwarded it to our workshare pod that is silent to moribund these days.

What I'm hearing more and more of is neighbors being tired of waiting for
neighbors to do something. They don't want to be dependent on people who may
nor may not respond this or next week or maybe for two months.

Perhaps this is our fast-paced life. Or it may be that we have so many options
in other parts of our lives that we can pick and choose. In Cohousing we have
narrowed our options to this team or this point person. If they don't respond
we are stuck. Elsewhere, we just switch providers.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org Often what works best is leadership.It may only
take one concerned resident stepping forward with initiative to engage another
resident to obtain a mutual commitment, then each engage another member each
with the simple personal face to face request that 'we would like to get this
done... will you help us?'It worked in Liberty Village yesterday and six
residents, owners and renters, showed up to load two volunteered trailers with
yard debris and tree prunings to take them to the yard waste recycling center
and in three hours the job was done.  This is the same way multiple members are
engaged in the annual budgeting process.  Members take initiative and ask for
assistance. It works a whole lot better than whining about 'nobody doing
anything'. Thanks for reading,

TOM LOFFTLiberty Village