Re: Getting the work done
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:41:18 -0800 (PST)
We find ourselves in a bind. The people who come to meetings are also the ones who do the work of the community -- physical, committee, cooking. Inevitably, it IS about what to do about the nonparticipants. We toy with the "play or pay" idea -- with some sort of charge attached to not doing something some number of hours a month, if not exempted for some good reason -- but then we face the reality that those who do not participate, often do not bring a good feeling when they do come (and yes we've tried all sorts of outreach). Do we really want contentious, reluctant members in our committee meetings? Do we want participation just to avoid a fine? Hate to say it, but some things go more smoothly when certain people just withdraw from meetings.

Until a few years ago, we didn't hire any help. Now we have help with cleaning the common house and with outdoor work. That affects assessments. Perhaps that will add up to some message to those who don't work. We still have critical mass in terms of getting the basics done, with those who do work, but many of the worker bees are 60-75 years old and we are less able bodied with the passing of time.

If there are some strong young idealists out there (with money to buy a house.....) we would love to have you join us. We've got a wonderful climate - weather and cultural - and real estate is way down in price. We have 2-3 resales available: bring your friends !

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
www.rosewind.org