Re: Common laundry question
From: Lautner, Patricia (Patricia.Lautnerumassmed.edu)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 05:17:21 -0800 (PST)
We are a community with 30 households, about 12-15 use the common laundry
(others have laundry in their units).  We have 3 washers and 3 dryers.  In my
experience, I hardly ever need to wait for a machine.  However with 18 homes,
you may want 4 just to be sure.

To cut down on laundry grid lock, you might want to put in place a system
similar to ours:  When people put their loads in the wash, they put up a sign
that says, "Please dry on normal (light, heavy, etc.) setting." or "Please do
not dry."  This way, when the next person comes along, they know what to do
with the load in the wash.  Nobody minds tossing someone's load into the dryer
for them.

(Once I tried to put up a sign on one of the dryers that said, "Please fold
nicely and deliver to my unit." - haha.)

Patti
Jamaica Plain Cohousing, Boston MA