Re: What next after group forms?
From: Michael Barrett (mbarretttoast.net)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:36:58 -0800 (PST)

John,
An issue for forming groups needs to be "What sort of community do we want to
be?"  where the issues
of size, location (rural or urban), "greeness" and style of governance (to name
only a few), will be
up for spirited discussion. This discussion is likely to reveal differences so
that possibly group
splits may result, with losses of participants.  An issue for you personally
may be, do you go along
with what appears to be an emerging majority opinion (to retain the largest
number of active
participants) or do you stick to your "ideal" (community image) hoping to find
enough participants
in the future.

I'd suggest some brainstorming sessions inviting expression of pros and cons on
as many cohousing
styles as folks can think of, to be posted on the wall without comment.  This
can reveal ideas (and
maybe misconceptions) about what cohousing living may be like.   Better to
tease out these issues
sooner rather than later.   It will be a major disappointment (or disaster) to
loose one or more of
your major participants (read financial resources) down the road because they have just realized that
the community-to-be likely isn't going to conform to their imaginings.

Orderly, logical meetings may be just that, orderly and logical to you, but
suffocating to others
who may have a more free flowing, whimsical nature.  How much latitude do you
want to allow for the
wide variations of human nature?  Your phase "head this off" did not resonate
well with me.

Best wishes.  Climb on the roller coaster and prepare for the ride!

Michael Barrett   -  Shadowlake Village, VA and formerly Liberty Village, MD.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Benson" <benson6451 [at] aol.com>