Re: Getting the work done
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:55:38 -0800 (PST)
One of the misconceptions is that if you allow people to pay, then the poor
will be doing the work and the rich will be paying. I don't know of any
community that has found this to be true. One community set the hourly rate
according the rate the least able to pay found acceptable.

While almost no one pays instead of works in our community, we have had
instances where people contributed money to purchases. This is also prohibited
in some communities because it might lead to the rich controlling purchases. We
have definitely not found this to be true. We decide what we want and we ask
for donations. Those who want the object the most often donate. In the case of
a Universal Gym the community had to approve the purchase but it was paid for
by about 8-10 people, not the community. The conditions are that it becomes the
property of the community to be used as any other facility.

The fact is that communities need money as well as labor. There are always
tasks no one wants to do, not necessarily the grubby work either. It might be
child care for meetings or a main dish for yet another celebration of one kind
or another. We do get tired of potlucks once in a while. Having a catered main
dish would be a luxury.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines