Re: Getting the work done
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 02:20:39 -0800 (PST)
At Cornerstone, we're experimenting with a variant of Takoma's system:  Any
particular acquisition or improvement is inevitably of greater interest to some
members, less to others.  Having no kids, I can't say a new playground
structure is my personal top priority.  But I support (politically and
financially) such an improvement because I believe that my own personal
interests will be comparably supported some other time, in some other way.

But how to pay?  What we're trying out here is the concept that if you're part
of the community, then you've also signed up for the community values — like
intergenerational living — and thus you help pay for things supportive of these
shared values whether or not you want them personally.   BUT AND HOWEVER, if
you are having serious financial problems, ones which might even force you to
leave the community, then you can self-excuse from participation in optional
expenditures like a swing set or a garden shed or remodeling a community space.
 Just notify the Treasurer, and you're off the hook.  It's strictly honor
system, no submittal or review of household financial records is desired or
required.

So where Takoma presumes you're out unless you choose to buy in, we presume
you're in unless you choose to opt out.

R Philip Dowds AIA
Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5