Re: Common Laundry Question
From: Richard L. Kohlhaas (rlkohlearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:12:18 -0800 (PST)
At Casa Verde, we were advised by our developer (Wonderland Hill) to have
washer/dryer hook-ups in every unit, as well as the common house, so we did.

There is one washer and dryer in the common house, although there are hook-ups
for
another pair.  Only 4 or 5 households use them now, so one set is adequate.

I have often wondered about the cohousing dogma about common laundry
facilities.
Certainly they are needed for at least some households with very small units ,
but
many think that everyone really should use them.  There is certainly no energy
savings; the same amount of fuel and water will be used whether common or
individual.  There is probably little or no savings in capital costs:  with
more use
per machine, repairs and eventual replacement costs will be higher for a common
machine (and they cost more to begin with).

Dick Kohlhaas <rlkohl [at] earthlink.net>
(719)633-8170
Board Member, Cohousing Association of the US
Resident of  Colorado Springs Cohousing Community at Casa Verde Commons
Completed March 2003. 34 units on 4 acres     www.casaverde.us