Re: Common Laundry Question
From: Susan Hyne (susanhynegmail.com)
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 06:39:46 -0800 (PST)
> Each line-dried load "earns" $.40 (the amount saved in electric

> costs) which goes into a sustainability fund.

>>How did you calculate this?

On-line calculators like the one below can be used to estimate cost per
load.   You input your local electricity/gas rate, drying time, and number
of loads.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dryers.html

Nancy--who posted several messages about line drying at CoHo--can post more
specifics about the savings we've had over the last several years.  As I
recall, the collective savings last year were equal to the annual electric
costs for a 2-bedroom unit.

> One added benefit of sharing laundry facilities in the common house is
more

> interaction among residents.  Our laundry room is also our rec room, our

> exercise room, our game/puzzle storage room, our CoHo business bulletin

> board room, and our free-to-good-home box room.  All of these uses bring

> folks together.

>>Can you say more about this? Are the washers and dryers in a big room?

The room is medium sized.  Until recently, it hosted a ping pong table (we
switched to foosball).

Along the four walls:

Narrow:  shelving for games/puzzles, free-to-good-home items

Long:  3 washers/2 dryers (1 stackable unit), utility sink, small counter
and doorway to outside

Narrow:  drying racks with treadmill in the corner

Long:  bulletin board with long folding table in front and doorway into
common house

--
Susan Hyne