Re: AED for common house
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:34:17 -0800 (PST)
On Nov 19, 2012, at 6:51 PM, Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah <welcome [at] olympus.net>
wrote:

> Do any other groups have a heart defibrillator? We are hoping to get
> one here at RoseWind (Port Townsend WA).

One of our teams investigated these a few years ago and found that both the
training for use and the regular calibration (or something like that) was quite
serious and made it impractical. They require regular attention and are not
without risk if wrongly used. This team was very hot on it and they backed off
as soon as they started interviewing providers.

My own estimation is that the chances of a heart attack occurring when someone
happens to be in the CH and someone else remembers, finds, and feels
comfortable using the defibrillator are slim. It has to be used within minutes
to have any effect, and is not a sure cure.

I was more in favor of purchasing one and having the one resident who had as
serious heart problem keep it in his unit. Someone else at risk could then keep
it. This resident lived almost a block from the CH and it would have been
useless to him there.

We are also near a hospital, however. From past experience it takes 5 minutes
from phone call to ambulance at the curb. For us the focus on getting that
phone call made and, if wise, getting the person to the curb would be time
better used.

But every situation is different. Location and presence of a well-trained
person.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines